- Baking tray
- 1/4 cup McKenzie’s Pearl Barley rinsed
- 3/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup pumpkin cut into 1-inch cubes
- 100 g chicken breast diced or sliced thickly
- 3/4 cup green beans
- 1/4 red onion sliced (not too thinly)
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Start by cooking the barley with the water and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Because pumpkin takes a little longer to soften and cook than the other ingredients, we will bake this first. So, while the barley is cooking, cut the pumpkin into 1 inch cubes. Place the cubes on a lined baking tray and into the preheated oven to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Dice your chicken. After 15 minutes, remove your tray from the oven, and add the rest of the bake ingredients to the tray. Layer the cooked barley, chicken, green beans and red onion to the tray (there's no need to be too careful about the layering – just ensure everything is fairly evenly spaced).
- When everything is placed on the tray, drizzle the olive oil and lemon juice over your chicken and veg tray, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the tray to the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the tray from the the oven, plate up and serve.
NB: All main course recipes use quantities from the ‘Female Healthy Weight Maintenance’ Stream of the 28 By Sam Wood program. So if you’re a male, feel free to bulk it up.
If you’re looking for sustainable weight loss, why not check out our 28 By Sam Wood Weight Loss Program?