Ingredients for Steak & Sides
- 1 medium potato peeled & roughly chopped
- 50 g green beans ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon milk full fat
- 1 teaspoon olive oil extra virgin
- 150 g steak porterhouse
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Ingredients for Peppery Mushroom Sauce
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper ground
- 2 button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon wholemeal flour or gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or chicken bone broth if available
To cook the sides
- Add potato to a medium pot of water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender (to test this you should be able to easily pierce them with a knife).
- Add in the green beans in the last minute to blanch.
- Drain, pick out beans and put them to the side.
- Place potatoes back into the pot, add the milk and mash it together, before setting it aside.
To cook the steak
- Meanwhile, season your steaks on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot and almost smoking, add steak. Push down gently.
- Cook for 2–3 minutes, then flip and cook on the other side until cooked to your liking.
- Remove steaks from pan and cover with foil. Allow to rest while preparing the remainder of your meal.
To cook the sauce
- Heat butter in the same frypan over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stock and cook for a further 5 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
- To serve, drizzle steak and potatoes with Peppery Mushroom Sauce.
NB: All main course recipes use quantities from the ‘Female Healthy Weight Maintenance’ Stream of the 28 By Sam Wood program. So if you’re a male, feel free to bulk it up.
If you’re looking for sustainable weight loss, why not check out our 28 By Sam Wood Weight Loss Program?